Saturday 20 June 2015

CHAPTER 16 :THE CHURCH PRAYS

CHAPTER 16 : THE CHURCH PRAYS
Prayer, the lifting of the mind and heart to God, plays an essential role in the life of a devout Catholic. Without a life of prayer, we risk losing the life of grace in our souls, grace that comes to us first in baptism and later chiefly through the other sacraments and through prayer itself (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2565). Through prayer we enter into the presence of the Godhead dwelling in us. It is prayer which allows us to adore God, by acknowledging his almighty power; it is prayer that allows us to bring our thanks, our petitions, and our sorrow for sin before our Lord and God.
Accordingly, as the Catechism of the Catholic Church explains (2626-2643), prayer has several different aspects: praise (recognition of God not so much because of what He does for us but simply because He is), thanksgiving (simple gratitude for Christ’s work of redemption and its personal effects on us), adoration (acknowledging our helplessness and humility in the presence of God’s glory),intercession (pleading for the welfare of others), and petition (pleading for our needs as an expression of our hope and desire in all things that “Thy Kingdom come”).
While prayer is not a practice unique to Catholics, those prayers that are called "Catholic" are generally formulaic in nature. That is, the teaching Church sets before us how we ought to pray. Further, our informal, spontaneous prayers, both vocal and meditative, are informed by and shaped by those prayers taught by the Church, prayers that are the wellspring for the prayer life of all Catholics. Without the Holy Spirit speaking through the Church and through her saints, we would not know how to pray as we ought (CCC, 2650).
As the prayers themselves witness, the Church teaches us that we should pray not only directly to God, but also to those who are close to God, those who have the power to intercede upon our behalf. Indeed, we pray to the angels to help and watch over us; we pray to the saints in heaven to ask their intercession and assistance; we pray to the Blessed Mother to enlist her aid, to ask her to beg her Son to hear our prayers. Further, we pray not only on our own behalf, but also on the behalf of those souls in purgatory and of those brothers on earth who are in need. Prayer unites us to God; in doing so, we are united to the other members of the Mystical Body.
This communal.aspect of prayer is reflected not only in the nature of Catholic prayers, but also in the very words of the prayers themselves. In reading many of the basic formulaic prayers, it will become apparent that, for the Catholic, prayer is often meant to be prayed in the company of others. Christ himself encouraged us to pray together: "For wherever two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them" (Matt. 18:20).
Praying Constantly
We should all learn to pray constantly—as our Lord Jesus Christ advised us (Luke 18:1). This involves vocal prayer, which is the recitation of the Church’s “standard” prayers, and it involves mental prayer, which has three dynamically intertwined components: a quiet, internal meditation (i.e., a deliberate thinking about divine things); contemplation (i.e., a surrendering to the experience of divine love); and spontaneous communication with God (i.e., constantly being aware of God’s presence, and asking for His help, in all that you experience in every moment
Fundamental Catholic Prayers
     Sign of the Cross  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Our Father
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen
Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Glory Be
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father; he will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.
Prayers to Our Lady  The Rosary  The six fundamental prayers listed above are also part of the Catholic rosary, a devotion dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, the Mother of God. (CCC 971) The rosary consists of fifteen decades.
Joyful Mysteries
I. The Annunciation
II. The Visitation
III. The Birth of our Lord
IV. The Presentation of our Lord
V. The Finding of our Lord in the Temple  
Sorrowful Mysteries
I. The Agony in the Garden
II. The Scourging at the Pillar
III. The Crowning with Thorns
IV. The Carrying of the Cross
V. The Crucifixion and Death of our Lord  
Glorious Mysteries
I. The Resurrection
II. The Ascension
III. The Descent of the Holy Spirit
IV. The Assumption of our Blessed Mother into Heaven
V. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth

Luminous Mystery of the Rosary  (Thursday)



Hail Holy Queen Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Memorare Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, we turn to thee, O Virgin of virgins, our Mother. To thee we come, before thee we stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, do not despise our petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer us. Amen.

The Angelus The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary. R. And she conceived of the Holy Spirit. (Hail Mary . . .) Behold the handmaid of the Lord. R. Be it done unto me according to thy word. (Hail Mary ...) And the Word was made flesh. R. And dwelt among us. (Hail Mary ...) Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. Let us pray: Pour forth, we beseech thee, O Lord, thy grace into our hearts; that, we to whom the incarnation of Christ, thy Son, was made known by the message of an angel, may by his passion and cross, be brought to the glory of his resurrection, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.  

Daily Prayers

Prayer Before Meals Bless us O Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Prayer to Our Guardian Angel Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day/night  be at my side to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.

Morning Offering O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day in union with the holy sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your sacred heart: the salvation of souls, reparation for sin, the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all the apostles of prayer, and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.

Evening prayer O my God, at the end of this day I thank you most heartily for all the graces I have received from you. I am sorry that I have not made a better use of them. I am sorry for all the sins I have committed against you. Forgive me, O my God, and graciously protect me this night. Blessed Virgin Mary, my dear heavenly mother, take me under your protection. St. Joseph, my dear guardian angel, and all you saints of God, pray for me. Sweet Jesus, have pity on all poor sinners, and save them from hell. Have mercy on the suffering souls in purgatory.

Act of Contrition O my God, I am very sorry that I have  sinned against you because you are so good and for your sake I will not sin again.

Prayer after Mass

Anima Christi Soul of Christ, make me holy. Body of Christ, save me. Blood of Christ, fill me with love. Water from Christ’s side, wash me. Passion of Christ, strengthen me. Good Jesus, hear me. Within your wounds, hide me. Never let me be parted from you. From the evil enemy, protect me. At the hour of my death, call me, and tell me to come to you that with your saints I may praise you through all eternity. Amen.
Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Breathe into me Holy Spirit, that all my thoughts may be holy. Move in me, Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Attract my heart, Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy. Strengthen me, Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy. Protect me, Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.
Come, Holy Spirit Come, O Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created. And you shall renew the face of the earth.
Let us pray O God, who has taught the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant that by the gift of the same Spirit we may be always truly wise and ever rejoice in his consolation, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
 

Prayers to the Angels and Saint

Prayer to our guardian angel
Angel of God,my guardian dear,To whom God's love commits me here,
Ever this day/ night,be at my side,To light and guard,Rule and guide.Amen.

Prayer to Saint Joseph O glorious Saint Joseph, you were chosen by God to be the foster father of Jesus, the most pure spouse of Mary, ever virgin, and the head of the Holy Family. You have been chosen by Christ’s vicar as the heavenly patron and protector of the Church founded by Christ.
Protect the Holy Father, our sovereign pontiff, and all bishops and priests united with him. Be the protector of all who labor for souls amid the trials and tribulations of this life, and grant that all peoples of the world may follow Christ and the Church he founded.
Dear St. Joseph, accept the offering I make to you. Be my father, protector, and guide in the way of salvation. Obtain for me purity of heart and a love for the spiritual life. After your example, let all my actions be directed to the greater glory of God, in union with the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and your own paternal heart. Finally, pray for me that I may share in the peace and joy of your holy death. Amen.
Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel  St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen
.
Prayer for Vocation
Heavenly Father,Help us to respond to and live out our Mission in the Church.
Help all your people to know their vocation in life, and assist them to prepare for it.
For your greater glory, and for the service of your people, call many to be priests and religious.
Give those whom you call the grace to respond generously and to persevere faithfully.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.Amen

   Prayer to Saint Jude Thaddeus
O God, the Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus was a faithful servant and friend of your Son and our Lord, Jesus Christ. His name has been forgotten by many because of the name of the traitor who delivered our beloved Master into the hands of the enemies.
But your Church honors him and invokes his intercession universally as the patron of those in difficulty who have found no other help. Grant that through Saint Jude's intercession we may know your will for us, have the strength to do it, and enjoy the consolation of your Holy Spirit as well as your blessings in time and eternity.
Heavenly Father, may Saint Jude intercede for us in all our necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly[HERE MAKE YOUR NEEDS KNOWN].
With him and all the saints may we praise you with your Son and Holy Spirit forever. Amen.
Saint Jude Thaddeus, pray for us. And for all who invoke your aid.


The Infant of Prague The Holy Child Jesus
O Child Jesus, I have recourse to Thee by Thy Holy Mother; I implore Thee to assist me in this necessity, for I firmly believe that Thy Divinity can assist me.
I confidently hope to obtain Thy holy grace.I love Thee with my whole heart and my whole soul.
I am heartily sorry for my sins, and entreat Thee, O good Jesus, to give me strength to overcome them.I am firmly resolved never to offend Thee again and to suffer everything rather than displease Thee.Henceforth, I wish to serve Thee faithfully.For Love of Thee, O divine Child, I will love my neighbor as myself. O Jesus, omnipotent Child, I entreat Thee again to come to my assistance in this necessity.(Make your request)
Grant me the grace of possessing Thee eternally with Mary and Joseph, and of adoring Thee with Thy Holy Angels and Saints. Amen.

Our Lady of This House
O sweet and gentle Lady, Immaculate Mother of God, we choose thee this day to be the Mistress and Lady of this house. Guard it, dear Mother from pestilence, fire, lightning, and tempests; from thieves,schisms and heresies and the malice of enemies.
Protect its inmates, Sweet Mary. Watch over our going out and coming in, and preserve us from sudden death. Keep us from all sins and harm and pray for us to God, that we may live in His service and depart this life in His grace.Amen.

Prayer of St. Gertrude The Great
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus. In union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home, and within my family.
(Releases one thousand souls from purgatory each time it is said.)
Work, Prayer, and Peace that in all things God may be Glorified. Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like your Heart.

Prayer To The Holy Spirit
O Holy spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore you. Enlighten, guide and console me. Tell me what I must do; give me your orders.I promise to subject myself to all that you desire of me and to accept all that you permit to happen to me. Let me only know your will.In all things be my guide.
Breathe in me O Holy Spirit That my thoughts may all be holy;
Act in me O Holy Spirit That my work, too, may be holy;Draw my heart O Holy Spirit That I love but what is holy;Strengthen me O Holy Spirit To defend all that is holy;Guard me then O Holy Spirit That I always may be holy.

Payers for Holy Priests
My Dear Jesus, Thou desirest that we pray the Lord of the harvest that He send zealous laborers into His vineyard.
Deign to raise up in Thy Church, and especially in this diocese, numerous and holy priests who, taking Thy Divine Heart as their Model, will, in the exercise of their holy priesthood, promote the glory of Thy heavenly Father and the salvation of those souls whom thou hast redeemed with Thy Precious Blood.
Give us truly holy priests who, inflamed with the fire of Thy divine love, seek nothing but Thy greater glory and the salvation of souls.
O Mary, Queen of the clergy, pray for us; obtain for us a number of holy priests.

Prayer for the souls in Purgatory
O God, Creator and Redeemer of all the faithful, grant to the souls of our departed loved ones, the remission of all their sins, that by means of our sacrifices and prayers on their behalf, they may obtain the joys of heaven, which they have earnestly desired. We ask this through Christ the Lord.

Novena of Childlike Confidence
O Jesus, who has said, "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you" through the intercession of Mary, Thy most holy Mother, I knock, I seek, I ask that my prayer be granted.
(Make your request)
O Jesus, who has said, "All that you ask of the Father in My Name, He will grant you," through the intercession of Mary, Thy most holy Mother, I humbly and urgently ask Thy Father in Thy Name that my prayer be granted.
(Make your request)
O Jesus, who has said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away but My word shall not pass," through the intercession of Mary, Thy most holy Mother, I feel confident that my prayer will be granted.
(Make your request)
(To be said at the same time every hour for nine consecutive hours - for just one day.)

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.


O St. Joseph, foster-father of our Lord and true spouse of Mary the Virgin, pray for us.



St. Francis prayer for Pets
Dear St. Francis, Lover of all God's creatures, Protector of nature. Please watch over our pets.
They give us so much companionship and teach us to care for those who cannot take care of themselves.They help the lonely and teach us many lessons of God's inclusive love. St. Francis, pray for them. Amen.








Vocal Prayer and Mental Prayer
Saint Teresa of Avila spoke constantly about the difference between vocal prayer and mental prayer. She also spoke very carefully about this difference. Because of the many abuses resulting from the illuminists—or alumbrados—of Teresa’s time, many theologians looked on mental prayer (or contemplative prayer) with suspicion, fearing that it would result in a contempt for vocal prayer (or liturgical prayer), along with a contempt for the Church tradition in general.
But, psychologically speaking, Saint Teresa got it right. All prayer, she said, begins with vocal prayer—such as the Our Father and the Hail Mary—and then, by meditating on the meaning of what is being said, even as it is being said, the soul will effectively be led to mental prayer. And not just that, but in the quiet moments between periods of vocal prayer—even while performing our daily work—the soul should be filled with contemplative mental prayer of pure, timeless love.
So, in regard to vocal prayer and mental prayer, it’s not a matter of either-or. When the soul struggles through darkness, it needs the beauty of mental prayer to cheer its heart and help it along. But it also needs the discipline of vocal prayer to keep it on the true path, lest it decide to chase off after fairy lights in the distance and be lost forever.














From the catechetical instructions by Saint John Mary Vianney, priest
PRAYER AND LOVE
The glorious duty of man: to pray and to love
My little children, reflect on these words: the Christian’s treasure is not on earth but in heaven. Our thoughts, then, ought to be directed to where our treasure is. This is the glorious duty of man: to pray and to love. If you pray and love, that is where a man’s happiness lies.
Saint John Mary VianneyPrayer is nothing else but union with God. When one has a heart that is pure and united with God, he is given a kind of serenity and sweetness that makes him ecstatic, a light that surrounds him with marvelous brightness. In this intimate union, God and the soul are fused together like two bits of wax that no one can ever pull apart. This union of God with a tiny creature is a lovely thing. It is a happiness beyond understanding.
We had become unworthy to pray, but God in his goodness allowed us to speak with him. Our prayer is incense that gives him the greatest pleasure.
My little children, your hearts are small, but prayer stretches them and makes them capable of loving God. Through prayer we receive a foretaste of heaven and something of paradise comes down upon us. Prayer never leaves us without sweetness. It is honey that flows into the soul and makes all things sweet. When we pray properly, sorrows disappear like snow before the sun. . . .
Some men immerse themselves as deeply in prayer as fish in water, because they give themselves totally to God. There is no division in their hearts. O, how I love these noble souls! Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Colette used to see our Lord and talk to him just as we talk to one another.
How unlike them we are! How often we come to church with no idea of what to do or what to ask for. And yet, whenever we go to any human being, we know well enough why we go. And still worse, there are some who seem to speak to the good God like this: “I will only say a couple of things to you, and then I will be rid of you.” I often think that when we come to adore the Lord, we would receive everything we ask for, if we would ask with living faith and with a pure heart.
—Saint John Mary Vianney, priest
Office of Readings, August 4

No comments:

Post a Comment